Peigan Board of Education
Announcing the Availability of the Following Full Time Position: Transportation Coordinator
EDUCATION: College diploma or related Vocational training.
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of job related experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES: Valid Alberta Driver’s License & evidence of insurability; must obtain Mandatory Entrance Level Training (MELT) which includes Class 2 Alberta Driver’s License and S-endorsement certificate within 1 year of employment; standard First Aide.
CLEARANCES: Vulnerable Sector Check, Driver’s Abstract, CanAmm drug and alcohol test (random and scheduled); AB Restrictions Exemption Program compliance.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Responsible for organization, administration and supervision of Peigan Board of Education transportation system in accordance with federal and provincial laws, and Board of Education policies. Responsible for Transportation Department annual budget and the safety and well-being of Piikani students who ride PBOE buses each day.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT / CONDITIONS:
The Transportation department is a busy area and the Coordinator will be involved with a number of people and tasks at one time. Work is performed both indoors and outdoors: periods of sitting, moderate walking, standing, bending, kneeling, lifting and reaching. Exposure to temperature extremes or inclement weather. Work demands include handling conflict situations that involve all levels of stakeholders, in a standard transportation setting. Work irregular hours and respond to after-hours emergency calls as needed. Upon receipt of class 2 Alberta Driver’s License and S-endorsement certificate the Coordinator will be required to operate a school bus in emergency situations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organizes, implements and manages a student transportation system consistent with federal and provincial laws, PBOE policies and Three Year Education Plan.
- Directly supervises PBOE bus drivers;
- Operates transportation office as communication/dispatch base during student loading and unloading time periods, during emergency situations, adverse weather situations.
- Operate as communication hub between all PBOE stakeholders. (parents, staff, community, etc.)
- Develops and maintains a list of students eligible for transportation.
- Approves, and monitors safety in the assignment of bus stops, routing and scheduling.
- Determine long term goals and strategies to manage effective maintenance, repair, cost tracking, specifications, purchasing and retirement of fleet. (Fleet oversight)
- Oversees and ensures compliance with all regulation governing bus driver licensing and Transportation regulations, including security checks and random drug testing.
- Ensures accurate records are maintained for preparation of legislative audits and reporting requirements.
- Develop and implement pre- and post- trip vehicle safety inspection procedures and maintenance reporting routines.
- Assesses incidents, complaints and/or accidents for the purpose of reaching a resolution.
- Compiles data from a variety of sources for the purpose of analyzing issues, ensuring compliance with organization policies and procedures.
- Facilitates transportation committee, and bus driver meetings.
- Monitors budget allocations, expenditures, and related financial activities for the purpose of ensuring allocations are accurate, expenses are within budget limits and fiscal practices are followed.
- Prepare necessary financial documents to be submitted to the Finance department.
- Maintain professional and positive working relationships with drivers, sub drivers, contractors, mechanical contractors, and fuel providers.
- Maintain open communications with neighboring school division transportation departments, suppliers, parents, Superintendent and Principal.
- Stay updated with Alberta rules and regulations for transportation.
- Develop and implement a driver recruitment strategy to address bus driver shortage and turnovers.
- Subject to drive school bus in emergency situations.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE SKILLS:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Blackfoot-Piikani Culture and willingness to learn the language.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate effectively with managers, supervisors, and PBOE stakeholders
- Ability to work within deadlines and handle interruptions.
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to utilize computers and other office equipment, bus radios, etc.
- Experience in trouble shooting on various aspects of motor vehicles
Deadline: OPEN Until a suitable candidate is found.
Submit cover letter, resume, references letters (3), copies of education requirements and background checks to:
PEIGAN BOARD OF EDUCATION – Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 130 Brocket, AB T0K 0H0
Tel: 403-965-3910 Fax: 403-965-3713